Subject: RE: frame parameter menu-bar-lines changes height of frame

From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2014 10:53:33 -0800 (PST)

> This can now be handled on trunk/master by adding 'menu-bar-lines'
> to `frame-inhibit-implied-resize'.  Bug closed.

I don't have a version with the fix yet.  (I have been unable to use
any Emacs versions since mid-October because they break the use of
frames in various ways, but I will look into those problems and report
them as I narrow things down.)

I gather that `frame-inhibit-implied-resize' is a user option.  It's
great that users can now control the behavior, but I wonder how that
helps code and how it fixes the bug reported here.  The point of
this bug was that `menu-bar-lines' should behave like `tool-bar-lines'
does: adding or removing a menu bar, or increasing/decreasing the
number of its lines, should not change the visible frame height.

If that behavior is only optional, and decided by users, then it
sounds like things are not the same as for `tool-bar-lines' and
that code cannot depend on the behavior being the same.

Anyway, I won't judge the fix until I can check it out.  And my
guess is that it is an improvement.  Thanks for working on this,
in any case.