Subject: bug#24994: 26.0.50; Emacs doesn't allow viewing .cbr files

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2016 23:51:20 +0100

These are really .rar files, so they should be treated the same as those.

I thought this stuff went into auto-mode-alist, but Emacs seems to
recognize .cbz files (they're really zip files), and that isn't
mentioned there, so ... is there a different mechanism here to hook
these files up with archive-mode?

In GNU Emacs 26.0.50.14 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.14.5)
 of 2016-11-18 built on stories
Repository revision: e8efa66e01933b8ae7ac9abf530a3818551c1343
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11604000
System Description:	Debian GNU/Linux 8.6 (jessie)

Recent messages:
.emacs: ‘with-decoded-time-value’ is an obsolete macro (as of 25.1). [2 times]
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
File Legion of Super-Heroes, 2010-05-19 (#01) (two covers) (digital) (Glorith-Novus).cbz is large (25.0M), really open? (y or n) y
Parsing archive file...done.
File Legion of Super-Heroes 000 (2012) (digital) (Minutemen-PhD).cbr is large (33.7M), really open? (y or n) y

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GCONF GSETTINGS
NOTIFY ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  global-whitespace-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/larsi/src/cddb.el/expect hides /home/larsi/lisp/expect
/home/larsi/src/cddb.el/captitle hides /home/larsi/lisp/captitle
/home/larsi/src/clock.el/clock hides /home/larsi/lisp/clock
~/pgnus/contrib/vcard hides /home/larsi/lisp/vcard
/home/larsi/src/pvr.el/pvr hides /home/larsi/lisp/pvr
~/lisp/zenirc-2.112/src/zenirc-example hides /home/larsi/lisp/zenirc-example
~/pgnus/contrib/compface hides /home/larsi/src/emacs/trunk/lisp/image/compface

Features:
(shadow sort emacsbug sendmail arc-mode archive-mode gnus-delay
gnus-draft gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual nntp
gnus-cache gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig
gnus-sum nndraft nnmh gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-cloud nnimap
utf7 netrc nnoo parse-time gnus-spec gnus-win nnmail gnus-int gnus-range
mail-source message format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec epa epg mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader gnus nnheader gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs
mail-utils whitespace movie mkv shr svg imdb dom pvr debug debbugs-gnu
easy-mmode derived debbugs soap-client mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
url-http tls gnutls url-auth mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util
ietf-drums mail-prsvr url-gw nsm puny url url-proxy url-privacy
url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util
mailcap warnings rng-xsd rng-dt rng-util xsd-regexp xml ido flyspell
ispell benchmark w3m browse-url doc-view subr-x dired dired-loaddefs
image-mode timezone w3m-hist w3m-fb w3m-ems wid-edit w3m-ccl ccl
w3m-favicon w3m-image w3m-proc w3m-util add-log mail-extr jka-compr cl
finder-inf package epg-config url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq
eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache url-vars seq
byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra help-mode easymenu cconv
cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x
multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 253839 9640)
 (symbols 48 34575 0)
 (miscs 40 57 262)
 (strings 32 63538 10521)
 (string-bytes 1 1971561)
 (vectors 16 29528)
 (vector-slots 8 629167 3332)
 (floats 8 528 326)
 (intervals 56 692 172)
 (buffers 976 16)
 (heap 1024 46464 1841))

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no