Subject: bug#24993: closed (System installer grows brittle as substitutes for the release disappear)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2017 20:31:03 +0000

Your bug report

#24993: System installer grows brittle as substitutes for the release disappear

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
24993: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=24993
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: System installer grows brittle as substitutes for the release disappear
From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
To: Leo Famulari <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], Christopher Howard <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2017 21:30:14 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Heya,

Reviving an old bug…

Leo Famulari <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Based on that, it looks like we garbage collected the substitutes for
> the 0.11.0 release to make space for new ones, which is too bad, but
> hopefully not a permament limitation. We have a new machine for our
> build farm front-end currently being installed and tested, and that
> server should have a great deal more storage.

Commit 4e854b1814a9216ae7cc90aef4d82fd989a519c3 added the whole
bare-bones OS as a dependency of the installation image.  Thus,
everything bare-bones depends on is included in the image.

This should ensure that at least key store items are already available
in the image.

Infrastructure-wise, the situation has also improved I think, and is
getting better with berlin.guixsd.org.

I think we can close this bug.  Let’s reopen it if I turned out to be
too optimistic.

Ludo’.

Subject: Documentation: 'guix pull' needed during SD installation
From: Christopher Howard <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2016 13:25:57 -0900
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

In the online installation docs at
<https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Proceeding-with-the-Installation.html#Proceeding-with-the-Installation>,
please insert the command 'guix pull' before the "guix system init"
command. Otherwise installation can fail due to missing binary packages,
which creates confusion for newbie installers like myself. Thank you!

-- 
Christopher Howard, Computer Assistant
Alaska Satellite Internet
3239 La Ree Way, Fairbanks, AK 99709
907-451-0088 or 888-396-5623 (toll free)
fax: 888-260-3584
mailto:[email-masked]
http://www.alaskasatelliteinternet.com