Subject: bug#24993: Documentation: 'guix pull' needed during SD installation

From: Leo Famulari <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2016 15:29:11 -0500

On Wed, Nov 23, 2016 at 08:25:27AM -0900, Christopher Howard wrote:
> The error is:
> 
> "
> guix substitute: error: download from
> 'https://mirror.hydra.gnu.org/nar/zrwslk773<...snip...>e2fsck-static-1.42.13'
> failed 410, "Gone"
> killing process 859
> guix system: error: build failed: some substitutes for the outputs of
> derivation `/gnu/store/kjzga<...snip...>-e2fsck-static-1.42..13.drv'
> failed (usually happens due to networking issues); try `--fallback' to
> build derivation from source
> "

Based on that, it looks like we garbage collected the substitutes for
the 0.11.0 release to make space for new ones, which is too bad, but
hopefully not a permament limitation. We have a new machine for our
build farm front-end currently being installed and tested, and that
server should have a great deal more storage.

You should try passing --substitute-urls=https://hydra.gnu.org in case
the issue is with the mirror.

Otherwise, I think your options for using the 0.11.0 installer are to
use --fallback and build the missing things from source, or use `guix
pull` as was suggested on IRC. I expect the latter option to require
less building.