Subject: Re: bug#2499: 23.0.91; syntax-ppss / beginning-of-defun not saving match data

From: "Tobias C. Rittweiler" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 17:56:14 +0100

Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:

> >   (i) `beginning-of-defun' is allowed to not save match data. If so,
> >       please document it.
>
> 99.9% of the functions are allowed to not save match data.  

Oh, I didn't know that! I thought the policy was the other way
around. (Perhaps 34.6, The Match Data, should make this policy more
explicit. If so, and you say so, I'll prepare a patch.)

> We do not bother to document it.  We should document the functions
> that are not allowed to do it, OTOH.

I think it's still worth to think about making `syntax-ppss' saving the
match data as this function may easily be implicitly invoked by
something deep down.

Thank you for your prompt reply!,

  -T.

-- 
Diese Nachricht wurde auf Viren und andere gefaerliche Inhalte untersucht
und ist - aktuelle Virenscanner vorausgesetzt - sauber.
Freebits E-Mail Virus Scanner