Subject: bug#24977: 25.1; search and query-replace in Dired

From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2016 08:36:55 -0800 (PST)

> > However, you did NOT change the menu bindings for `dired-do-
> > search' and `dired-do-query-replace-regexp' (the commands formerly
> > bound to `A' and `Q').  This is inconsistent.  Those menu items no
> > longer show the keyboard shortcuts, because they have none.  And
> > the new commands are not on menus at all.
> 
> Thanks, I fixed that now.
> 
> > It was unwise to change the key bindings.  They should be
> > restored, and new bindings should be sought for your new commands.
> 
> Let's not start beating this dead horse again.

Then you did NOT fix this bug, and it should be closed as `wont fix'.
That's your choice, but please do not claim that you fixed the bug
that was reported if you did not.

The original search and query-replace commands, which were in the
menu, should also have keyboard key bindings (as before).  AND the
new commands should be added to the menu.

For the menu, I suggest:

 `Search Files' - as before
 `Search Files using `find' - for the new command

 `Query Replace' - as before
 `Query Replace using `find' - for the new command

Logically, the longstanding key bindings `A' and `Q' should be
restored to the original commands.  But if you refuse that then
they should at least be given other key bindings - `M-a' and
`M-q', for example.

Doing this, you can rightfully close this bug as fixed.
Otherwise, no.