Subject: bug#24972: 26.0.50; Multibyte characters are misaligned in ibuffer

From: Liu Hui <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2016 11:51:50 +0800

在 2016年11月21日 17:35, Mark Oteiza 写道:
> On 21/11/16 at 02:00pm, Liu Hui wrote:
>> 在 2016年11月21日 02:58, Mark Oteiza 写道:
>>> Liu Hui <[email-masked]> writes:
>>>> As shown in the screenshot attached, multibyte characters (the second
>>>> line) are misaligned in ibuffer. The problem seems at least relevant
>>>> to the function `ibuffer-compile-format', which uses `length' rather
>>>> than `string-width' for characters.
>>>
>>> Indeed, changing to string-width improves it. ibuffer should probably
>>> also be using display properties to align the columns, but that's
>>> another issue.
>>>
>>> Committed in 7e2a8b1. Thanks for reporting
>>
>> Thank you, but I find it does not work when the multibyte string is long.
>> For example, if the string-width of buffer name, e.g.
>> "一个很长很长的文件名", exceeds the default width of ibuffer column, M-x
>> ibuffer will fail and issue an error.
>>
>> According to the backtrace, it is because `ibuffer-compile-format' calls
>> `ibuffer-compile-make-substring-form'/`ibuffer-compile-make-eliding-form',
>> which use `substring' to truncate the multibyte string. A similar issue was
>> reported in https://github.com/emacs-helm/helm/issues/170. Probably
>> replacing `substring' solves the problem.
>
> Ah, thanks. I pushed another change that fixes the error.  Still, if the
> name is a particular mix of half- and full-width though (e.g.
> "aーーーーーー"), the next column(s) might be off by one.
>

Thank you, but the trailing "..." is missing for long buffer names, no 
matter whether they contain multibyte characters. For example, 
"01234567890123456789" becomes "012345678901234567". The normal result 
should be "012345678901234...".