Subject: bug#24972: 26.0.50; Multibyte characters are misaligned in ibuffer

From: Liu Hui <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2016 14:00:14 +0800

在 2016年11月21日 02:58, Mark Oteiza 写道:
>
> Liu Hui <[email-masked]> writes:
>> As shown in the screenshot attached, multibyte characters (the second
>> line) are misaligned in ibuffer. The problem seems at least relevant
>> to the function `ibuffer-compile-format', which uses `length' rather
>> than `string-width' for characters.
>
> Indeed, changing to string-width improves it. ibuffer should probably
> also be using display properties to align the columns, but that's
> another issue.
>
> Committed in 7e2a8b1. Thanks for reporting
>

Thank you, but I find it does not work when the multibyte string is 
long. For example, if the string-width of buffer name, e.g. 
"一个很长很长的文件名", exceeds the default width of ibuffer column, M-x ibuffer 
will fail and issue an error.

According to the backtrace, it is because `ibuffer-compile-format' calls 
`ibuffer-compile-make-substring-form'/`ibuffer-compile-make-eliding-form', 
which use `substring' to truncate the multibyte string. A similar issue 
was reported in https://github.com/emacs-helm/helm/issues/170. Probably 
replacing `substring' solves the problem.