Subject: bug#2497: 23.0.91; Fails to read UTF-8 on Win2k

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 20:19:04 +0200

> From: Uwe Siart <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 17:48:15 +0100
> 
> It works with "C-x RET c utf-8 RET" immediately prior to "C-x C-f".
> 
> > If it does, then the problem is with guessing the encoding, not with
> > decoding it.
> 
> That's also my impression.
> 
> > Also, what is the default value of buffer-file-coding-system, and was
> > it the same in 23.0.90?
> 
> iso-latin-1-dos in 23.0.90 and in 23.0.91.

Then you shouldn't expect Emacs to guess UTF-8 encoding correctly in
every single instance.  Distinguishing between UTF-8 and Latin-1 is
generally impossible with the current state of the art of coded
character sets support in Emacs.  It might work in certain cases, but
that's sheer luck.

One way to work around that in your specific case, without changing
your global defaults, is to add a `coding:' cookie to your .gnus.el
file.