Subject: Re: bug#2497: 23.0.91; Fails to read UTF-8 on Win2k

From: Uwe Siart <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 17:48:15 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 15:10:19 +0100
>> From: Uwe Siart <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: 
>> 
>> I'm using the windows port of 23.0.91 on Win2k SP4 and I found that it
>> fails to read utf-8 encoded files correctly. When visiting a file in
>> utf-8 encoding all characters above 255 are screwed up and "C-h C RET"
>> indicates iso-latin1-dos for saving the file.
>
> Does it work with "C-x RET c utf-8 RET" immediately prior to
> "C-x C-f"?

It works with "C-x RET c utf-8 RET" immediately prior to "C-x C-f".

> If it does, then the problem is with guessing the encoding, not with
> decoding it.

That's also my impression.

> Also, what is the default value of buffer-file-coding-system, and was
> it the same in 23.0.90?

iso-latin-1-dos in 23.0.90 and in 23.0.91.

-- 
Uwe