Subject: bug#24969: 26.0.50; number-at-point

From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2016 13:28:46 -0800 (PST)

> > I guess it depends on what a user would expect of a
> > "number-at-point" function.  A priori, I don't see why s?he
> > would expect a non-nil answer if the numeral is embedded in
> > text that does not delimit a numeral (e.g. non whitespace text).
> > But maybe it is OK.
> >
> > Would we expect the same kind of behavior for `sexp-at-point'
> > if a sexp were not surrounded by chars that delimit a sexp?
> >
> > In Lisp, at least, there is no number at point, in `foo-2'.
> > That is, the Lisp parser (reader) would never pick up the
> > `2' as a number here.
> >
> > I'm partial to use of thingatpt for Lisp, but I realize that
> > it is used in other contexts too.
> 
> In use here for edit-purposes.  For example raise all numbers
> in a region - makes it easier sometimes to adapt stuff, which
> doesn't deserve an own template.

But the question is, "What constitutes a numeral?" in the given
context.  Whatever the context, I would expect some kind of
well-defined delimiting.  In Lisp I would expect what the Lisp
reader would pick up as a number - nothing more.  And that would
exclude picking up `2' within `foo-2'.

> Have a first implementation with ar-add-numbers in
> https://github.com/andreas-roehler/werkstatt/blob/master/misc/misc-
> utils.el - just re-writing it.

There is no `ar-add-numbers' or `add-numbers' in that file
(having downloaded it just now).  Perhaps you meant
`ar-add-to-number-cummulative'?  That is undefined, without
`ar-bounds-of-number-atpt' (not in the file).

Anyway, my point was made above.