Subject: bug#24948: Illegible GRUB menu

From: Chris Marusich <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2016 00:26:13 -0800

Leo Famulari <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Wed, Nov 16, 2016 at 08:34:21AM -0800, Chris Marusich wrote:
>> Leo Famulari <[email-masked]> writes:
>> 
>> > On my Thinkpad x200s running GuixSD, the graphical GRUB menu is
>> > scrambled and illegible. I've attached a photograph of the problem.
>> 
>> I also have an x200 running GuixSD (with Libreboot).  I do not
>> experience this issue; the GRUB menu looks correct to me.
>
> I have an x200s, which is a slightly different machine.

I misunderstood.  Thank you for the clarification.

>> Are you using Libreboot with the GRUB payload?  If so, what version of
>> Libreboot [1]?  What version of GuixSD?  If you are using recent
>> versions and the issue is still happening, I wonder if perhaps your
>> hardware is different from mine.
>
> I'm using the BIOS that came with the computer when I bought it
> second-hand; it appears to be from Lenovo. I don't know whether or not
> the differences in our hardware would cause this issue. And like I said
> before, this used to work for me.

I'm curious to know if I would encounter the same problem if I were
actually running the GRUB that Guix installed (to my drive), rather than
the GRUB which Libreboot installed (to my internal memory).  However, I
am not sure how to run the GRUB that Guix installed; I tried
chainloading it manually from Libreboot's GRUB, but I was unsuccessful.
Unfortunately, this means I can't currently reproduce your issue.

Can anyone else reproduce this issue?

-- 
Chris