Subject: Re: bug#24948: Illegible GRUB menu

From: Leo Famulari <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2016 12:52:14 -0500

On Wed, Nov 16, 2016 at 08:34:21AM -0800, Chris Marusich wrote:
> Leo Famulari <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > On my Thinkpad x200s running GuixSD, the graphical GRUB menu is
> > scrambled and illegible. I've attached a photograph of the problem.
> 
> I also have an x200 running GuixSD (with Libreboot).  I do not
> experience this issue; the GRUB menu looks correct to me.

I have an x200s, which is a slightly different machine.

> Are you using Libreboot with the GRUB payload?  If so, what version of
> Libreboot [1]?  What version of GuixSD?  If you are using recent
> versions and the issue is still happening, I wonder if perhaps your
> hardware is different from mine.

I'm using the BIOS that came with the computer when I bought it
second-hand; it appears to be from Lenovo. I don't know whether or not
the differences in our hardware would cause this issue. And like I said
before, this used to work for me.

> For comparison, this is some of my video info (information obtained
> using the 'lspci' program):
> 
> --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)
> 00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)
> --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

I see the same:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)

> I am using Guix version "20161116.06".  I am using Libreboot version
> "r20160907".

I keep the system up to date, but it's not usually "vanilla" `guix
pull`. I normally reconfigure the system from a Git checkout, and
sometimes it has custom patches, or I use the core-updates branch, or
other things like that.

However, the problem is consistent, and it persists when I try using
Guix straight from `guix pull`, version 20161114.22.