Subject: bug#24947: 25.1; ssh not working with ido

From: Colin Baxter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2016 17:12:20 +0000

With "emacs -Q" and minimal initFile of

(require 'ido)
    (ido-mode t)

a tramp "/ssh:username@host/home/username/path/to/file" gives error

tramp-file-name-handler: Host name must not match method "ssh"

If C-f is done before the colon, to switch off the completion, then
:username@host:/home/path/to/file can be entered without error and the
remote file may be loaded success full.

In GNU Emacs 25.1.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.4.2)
 of 2016-09-18 built on jetstar
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11204000
System Description:	Debian GNU/Linux 7.11 (wheezy)

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/home/redknight/local --with-x-toolkit=gtk3
 --without-sound'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK GPM DBUS GCONF GSETTINGS NOTIFY
ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_GB.utf8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8

Major mode: eww

Minor modes in effect:
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  xterm-mouse-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  global-linum-mode: t
  timeclock-mode-line-display: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
Are you sure you want to quit reading news? (y or n) y
Saving Gnus registry (2338 entries) to ~/.emacs-files/gnus-25/.gnus.registry.eieio...
Saving Gnus registry (size 2338) to ~/.emacs-files/gnus-25/.gnus.registry.eieio...done
Saving file /home/redknight/.emacs-files/gnus-25/.newsrc...
Wrote /home/redknight/.emacs-files/gnus-25/.newsrc
Saving /home/redknight/.emacs-files/gnus-25/.newsrc.eld...
Saving file /home/redknight/.emacs-files/gnus-25/.newsrc.eld...
Wrote /home/redknight/.emacs-files/gnus-25/.newsrc.eld
Saving /home/redknight/.emacs-files/gnus-25/.newsrc.eld...done
Making completion list...

Load-path shadows:
/home/redknight/.emacs-lisp/emacs-w3m/w3m-session hides /home/redknight/.emacs-lisp/w3m-session
/home/redknight/git/org-mode/contrib/lisp/htmlize hides /home/redknight/.emacs-lisp/htmlize
/home/redknight/git/org-mode/contrib/lisp/org-screenshot hides /home/redknight/.emacs-lisp/org-screenshot
/home/redknight/.emacs-lisp/ob-rec hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/ob-rec
/home/redknight/.emacs-lisp/rec-mode hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/rec-mode
/home/redknight/git/auctex/auctex hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex
/home/redknight/git/auctex/tex-site hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/tex-site
/home/redknight/.emacs-lisp/ftnchek hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/ftnchek
/home/redknight/git/auctex/preview-latex hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/preview-latex
/home/redknight/git/org-mode/lisp/org-feed hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/org-feed
/home/redknight/git/org-mode/lisp/org-version hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/org-version
/home/redknight/git/org-mode/lisp/org-protocol hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/org-protocol
/home/redknight/git/org-mode/lisp/ob-haskell hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ob-haskell
/home/redknight/git/org-mode/lisp/org-mouse hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/org-mouse
/home/redknight/git/org-mode/lisp/ox-beamer hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ox-beamer
/home/redknight/git/org-mode/lisp/org-mobile hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/org-mobile
/home/redknight/git/org-mode/lisp/ob-sql hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ob-sql
/home/redknight/git/org-mode/lisp/ob-org hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ob-org
/home/redknight/git/org-mode/lisp/org-id hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/org-id
/home/redknight/git/org-mode/lisp/ob-gnuplot hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ob-gnuplot
/home/redknight/git/org-mode/lisp/org-docview hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/org-docview
/home/redknight/git/org-mode/lisp/org-archive hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/org-archive
/home/redknight/git/org-mode/lisp/org-gnus hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/org-gnus
/home/redknight/git/org-mode/lisp/ob-sqlite hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ob-sqlite
/home/redknight/git/org-mode/lisp/ob-screen hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ob-screen
/home/redknight/git/org-mode/lisp/org-agenda hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/org-agenda
/home/redknight/git/org-mode/lisp/ob-R hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ob-R
/home/redknight/git/org-mode/lisp/ox-html hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ox-html
/home/redknight/git/org-mode/lisp/ob-ruby hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ob-ruby
/home/redknight/git/org-mode/lisp/ob-fortran hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ob-fortran
/home/redknight/git/org-mode/lisp/ob-keys hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ob-keys
/home/redknight/git/org-mode/lisp/ob-maxima hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ob-maxima
/home/redknight/git/org-mode/lisp/ob-ocaml hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ob-ocaml
/home/redknight/git/org-mode/lisp/org-table hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/org-table
/home/redknight/git/org-mode/lisp/ob-emacs-lisp hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ob-emacs-lisp
/home/redknight/git/org-mode/lisp/org-element hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/org-element
/home/redknight/git/org-mode/lisp/org-macs hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/org-macs
/home/redknight/git/org-mode/lisp/org-w3m hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/org-w3m
/home/redknight/git/org-mode/lisp/org-timer hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/org-timer
/home/redknight/git/org-mode/lisp/ob-picolisp hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ob-picolisp
/home/redknight/git/org-mode/lisp/ob-eval hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ob-eval
/home/redknight/git/org-mode/lisp/ob-scheme hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ob-scheme
/home/redknight/git/org-mode/lisp/ox-publish hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ox-publish
/home/redknight/git/org-mode/lisp/org-pcomplete hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/org-pcomplete
/home/redknight/git/org-mode/lisp/org-list hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/org-list
/home/redknight/git/org-mode/lisp/org-rmail hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/org-rmail
/home/redknight/git/org-mode/lisp/org-info hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/org-info
/home/redknight/git/org-mode/lisp/ob-dot hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ob-dot
/home/redknight/git/org-mode/lisp/ob-ledger hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ob-ledger
/home/redknight/git/org-mode/lisp/ob-C hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ob-C
/home/redknight/git/org-mode/lisp/ob-shen hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ob-shen
/home/redknight/git/org-mode/lisp/org-attach hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/org-attach
/home/redknight/git/org-mode/lisp/ob-python hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ob-python
/home/redknight/git/org-mode/lisp/org-footnote hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/org-footnote
/home/redknight/git/org-mode/lisp/org-compat hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/org-compat
/home/redknight/git/org-mode/lisp/org-crypt hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/org-crypt
/home/redknight/git/org-mode/lisp/ob-asymptote hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ob-asymptote
/home/redknight/git/org-mode/lisp/ob hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ob
/home/redknight/git/org-mode/lisp/ob-plantuml hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ob-plantuml
/home/redknight/git/org-mode/lisp/ob-css hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ob-css
/home/redknight/git/org-mode/lisp/ob-calc hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ob-calc
/home/redknight/git/org-mode/lisp/ob-makefile hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ob-makefile
/home/redknight/git/org-mode/lisp/ob-awk hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ob-awk
/home/redknight/git/org-mode/lisp/ox-man hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ox-man
/home/redknight/git/org-mode/lisp/ob-java hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ob-java
/home/redknight/git/org-mode/lisp/ob-io hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ob-io
/home/redknight/git/org-mode/lisp/ob-js hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ob-js
/home/redknight/git/org-mode/lisp/org-macro hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/org-macro
/home/redknight/git/org-mode/lisp/ob-sass hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ob-sass
/home/redknight/git/org-mode/lisp/ob-latex hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ob-latex
/home/redknight/git/org-mode/lisp/org hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/org
/home/redknight/git/org-mode/lisp/ob-clojure hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ob-clojure
/home/redknight/git/org-mode/lisp/org-indent hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/org-indent
/home/redknight/git/org-mode/lisp/org-datetree hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/org-datetree
/home/redknight/git/org-mode/lisp/org-entities hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/org-entities
/home/redknight/git/org-mode/lisp/org-capture hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/org-capture
/home/redknight/git/org-mode/lisp/ob-lob hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ob-lob
/home/redknight/git/org-mode/lisp/ob-lisp hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ob-lisp
/home/redknight/git/org-mode/lisp/ox-texinfo hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ox-texinfo
/home/redknight/git/org-mode/lisp/org-loaddefs hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/org-loaddefs
/home/redknight/git/org-mode/lisp/ox hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ox
/home/redknight/git/org-mode/lisp/ob-scala hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ob-scala
/home/redknight/git/org-mode/lisp/org-colview hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/org-colview
/home/redknight/git/org-mode/lisp/org-clock hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/org-clock
/home/redknight/git/org-mode/lisp/ob-table hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ob-table
/home/redknight/git/org-mode/lisp/ob-core hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ob-core
/home/redknight/git/org-mode/lisp/org-faces hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/org-faces
/home/redknight/git/org-mode/lisp/org-irc hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/org-irc
/home/redknight/git/org-mode/lisp/org-plot hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/org-plot
/home/redknight/git/org-mode/lisp/org-bibtex hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/org-bibtex
/home/redknight/git/org-mode/lisp/org-habit hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/org-habit
/home/redknight/git/org-mode/lisp/ox-md hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ox-md
/home/redknight/git/org-mode/lisp/ob-tangle hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ob-tangle
/home/redknight/git/org-mode/lisp/ob-ditaa hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ob-ditaa
/home/redknight/git/org-mode/lisp/ox-ascii hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ox-ascii
/home/redknight/git/org-mode/lisp/org-eshell hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/org-eshell
/home/redknight/git/org-mode/lisp/ox-latex hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ox-latex
/home/redknight/git/org-mode/lisp/ob-perl hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ob-perl
/home/redknight/git/org-mode/lisp/org-mhe hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/org-mhe
/home/redknight/git/org-mode/lisp/org-src hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/org-src
/home/redknight/git/org-mode/lisp/ob-mscgen hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ob-mscgen
/home/redknight/git/org-mode/lisp/ob-lilypond hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ob-lilypond
/home/redknight/git/org-mode/lisp/ox-org hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ox-org
/home/redknight/git/org-mode/lisp/org-ctags hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/org-ctags
/home/redknight/git/org-mode/lisp/ob-ref hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ob-ref
/home/redknight/git/org-mode/lisp/ob-matlab hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ob-matlab
/home/redknight/git/org-mode/lisp/org-inlinetask hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/org-inlinetask
/home/redknight/git/org-mode/lisp/ox-odt hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ox-odt
/home/redknight/git/org-mode/lisp/org-bbdb hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/org-bbdb
/home/redknight/git/org-mode/lisp/ob-octave hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ob-octave
/home/redknight/git/org-mode/lisp/ox-icalendar hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ox-icalendar
/home/redknight/git/org-mode/lisp/org-install hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/org-install
/home/redknight/git/org-mode/lisp/ob-exp hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ob-exp
/home/redknight/git/org-mode/lisp/ob-comint hides /home/redknight/local/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/org/ob-comint

Features:
(shadow emacsbug jka-compr tetris gamegrid compface mailalias smtpmail
sendmail nnir git-log log-view pcvs-util gnus-fun sort smiley
gnus-cite flow-fill gnus-async gnus-bcklg mail-extr gnus-ml gnus-topic
mm-archive url-handlers nnrss xml nndraft nnmh nnml bbdb-gnus bbdb-mua
epa-file epa gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual
gnus-msg nntp gnus-cache gnus-registry registry eieio-compat
eieio-base gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig gnus-sum
gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source
utf7 netrc nnoo gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range gnus-win footnote qp
rmailmm message dired mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
gmm-utils mailheader rmail epg view diary-lib diary-loaddefs holidays
hol-loaddefs cal-move parse-time org-clock tabify cal-iso org-indent
org-datetree org-capture image-file org-table sh-script smie grep
git-modeline shr-color color network-stream nsm starttls url-http tls
gnutls mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums url-gw url-cache
url-auth eww-lnum eww mm-url gnus gnus-ems nnheader mail-utils
url-queue shr dom subr-x browse-url executable whitespace reftex-parse
autorevert filenotify reftex-dcr reftex-auc org-w3m org-wl org-vm
org-rmail org-protocol org-mhe org-mew org-irc org-inlinetask org-info
org-gnus org-bibtex bibtex org-bbdb flyspell enriched edmacro kmacro
pp git-status ewoc my-eshell face-remap em-unix em-term em-script
em-prompt em-ls em-joc em-hist em-pred em-glob em-dirs em-cmpl
em-basic em-banner em-alias esh-var esh-io esh-cmd esh-opt esh-ext
esh-proc esh-arg esh-groups eshell esh-module esh-mode esh-util
recentf tree-widget url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods
url-history url-cookie url-domsuf mailcap my-javascript w3m-load ssh
mailcrypt rfc822 preview-latex tex-site auto-loads server my-mailcap
muse-texinfo texnfo-upd texinfo muse-latex muse-html muse-xml-common
muse-publish muse-project muse-protocols muse-regexps derived muse
muse-nested-tags muse-mode page-break-lines ox-bibtex ox-texinfo
ox-odt rng-loc rng-uri rng-parse rng-match rng-dt rng-util rng-pttrn
nxml-parse nxml-ns nxml-enc xmltok nxml-util ox-latex ox-icalendar
ox-html table ox-ascii ox-publish ox reftex-cite reftex reftex-vars
iimage ob-sqlite ob-shell ob-ruby ob-R ob-python ob-org ob-perl
ob-lisp ob-latex ob-haskell ob-gnuplot ob-fortran ob-dot ob-ditaa
ob-calc calc-store calc-trail calc-ext calc calc-loaddefs calc-macs
ob-C cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds ob-awk org-id
org-crypt my-journal windmove org-habit org-element avl-tree
org-location-google-maps org-agenda google-maps google-maps-static
url-util url-parse url-vars google-maps-geocode google-maps-base json
map org org-macro org-footnote org-pcomplete org-list org-faces
org-entities noutline outline org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle
org-src ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-keys ob-exp ob-comint tramp
tramp-compat auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core gnus-util mm-util
help-fns mail-prsvr password-cache tramp-loaddefs trampver
ucs-normalize shell pcomplete ob-core ob-eval org-compat org-macs
org-loaddefs format-spec find-func cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs
git-emacs ido git-emacs-autoloads git-global-keys time-stamp vc-git
diff-mode easy-mmode vc vc-dispatcher ediff-merg ediff-wind ediff-diff
ediff-mult ediff-help ediff-init ediff-util ediff pandoc-mode
pandoc-mode-utils dash hydra lv bbdb-vcard bbdb-com crm mailabbrev
vcard bbdb bbdb-site timezone bbdb-loaddefs finder-inf
conkeror-minor-mode-autoloads dired-details-autoloads
google-maps-autoloads markdown-mode+-autoloads muse-autoloads info
package epg-config seq byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra
help-mode cconv lusty-explorer cl-macs htmlize cl gv term disp-table
ehelp shell-command synonyms thingatpt+ thingatpt ftnchek-mode compile
comint ansi-color ring fortran cus-edit easymenu wid-edit linum-ex
cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs ispell xt-mouse time
battery linum advice timeclock paren cus-start cus-load
slime-autoloads cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib time-date mule-util tooltip
eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel
x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt
fringe tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode
register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse
jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cl-generic cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript case-table
epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded
nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x
multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 8 1232798 95424)
 (symbols 24 62192 497)
 (miscs 20 901 2564)
 (strings 16 209557 50129)
 (string-bytes 1 7945187)
 (vectors 8 90259)
 (vector-slots 4 2357592 49510)
 (floats 8 1033 1025)
 (intervals 28 71350 2600)
 (buffers 520 57)
 (heap 1024 51369 12028))

-- 
--
Colin Baxter
[email-masked]