Subject: bug#24939: [PATCH] Add tests for lisp/kmacro.el

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2016 17:51:17 +0200

> From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>,  [email-masked]
> Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2016 10:08:46 +0100
> 
> > Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> >
> >>> > I don't like this implementation.
> >>>
> >>> This strategy is used in autorevert-tests.el and filenotify-tests.el,
> >>> which is where I copied it from. So those should be changed too.
> >>
> >> Most probably.  But let's first see what better implementation we
> >> could come up with.
> >>
> > Let me know what you think.
> 
> At first glance, looks OK to me.

I agree.  Thanks for working on this, Gemini.

> However, I didn't understand why the existing implementation
> (watching messages in *Messages*) is bad.

Because the display engine treats that buffer specially, and assumes
all kinds of assumptions when it does.  See message_dolog in xdisp.c
for the gory details.

So I'd like us to futz as little as possible with *Messages*, lest we
violate those assumptions.  In particular, setting buffer restrictions
might get in the way.  (Granted, this is only a problem when the test
suite is run interactively, but AFAIK this is actually done
sometimes.)