Subject: 25.1.50; recentf breaks M-x tetris scoring

From: Robert Marshall <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2016 21:07:59 +0000

With emacs -Q
evaluate
(require 'recentf)
(recentf-mode t)

and then M-x tetris

just let the blocks pile up to finish quickly, when it completes I
get the message

   File exists, but cannot be read

when it tries to access the score file and no score gets added - if it
was going to do so. Without those recentf lines the score file is read
successfully.

The issue doesn't appear to be dependent upon
~/.emacs.d/games/tetris-scores in the recentf list

Robert

In GNU Emacs 25.1.50.6 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.18.9)
 of 2016-09-03 built on robert-new-desktop
Repository revision: 2ad16e4bf9b43c169bcfa1e6240584488fbc3d78
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11804000
System Description:	Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG SOUND DBUS GSETTINGS NOTIFY GNUTLS LIBXML2
FREETYPE XFT ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Group

Minor modes in effect:
  gnus-topic-mode: t
  cursor-sensor-mode: t
  which-function-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  gnus-undo-mode: t
  global-hi-lock-mode: t
  hi-lock-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow emacsbug tetris gamegrid arc-mode archive-mode iso-transl
eieio-opt speedbar sb-image ezimage dframe help-fns radix-tree
vm-digest canlock bbdb-message footnote nnir log-view pcvs-util
latexenc gnus-vm vm-mark pp dabbrev smtpmail vm-reply url-queue
url-cache shr-color color shr svg dom browse-url eimp dcl-mode tempo
css-mode vm-delete warnings tapestry misearch multi-isearch
bug-reference vc-cvs vm-crypto vm-imap vc-svn markdown-mode thingatpt
org-element org-rmail org-mhe org-irc org-info org-gnus org-docview
doc-view jka-compr image-mode org-bibtex bibtex org-bbdb org-w3m org
org-macro org-footnote org-pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities
noutline outline org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob
ob-table ob-exp org-src ob-keys ob-comint ob-core ob-eval org-compat
org-macs org-loaddefs find-func autoconf autoconf-mode python
perl-mode rst sgml-mode sort smiley gnus-cite flow-fill qp mm-archive
mail-extr gnus-bcklg gnus-async gnus-ml disp-table gnus-topic
cursor-sensor nndraft nnmh nnfolder gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score
score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-cache bbdb-gnus network-stream
starttls nntp dired-aux which-func imenu cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess
cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs
conf-mode make-mode vc-dir ewoc vc vc-dispatcher flyspell ispell
tex-mode compile sh-script smie executable vc-git diff-mode easy-mmode
add-log vm-save vm-sort vm-thread bbdb-vm bbdb-mua bbdb-com crm
vm-pine gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig gnus-sum
gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source
utf7 netrc nnoo gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message rfc822 mml
mml-sec epa derived epg mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus nnheader gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs bbdb bbdb-site timezone sendmail mail-utils vm-rfaddons
vm-menu vm-window vm-toolbar vm-folder vm-mime vm-undo vm-virtual
vm-summary-faces vm-summary vm-mouse vm-page vm-motion vm-minibuf
vm-message vm-misc vm-macro vm-autoloads vm-vars vm-version vm dired-x
dired dired-loaddefs twittering-mode identica-mode json map url-http
tls gnutls url-auth mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util
ietf-drums mail-prsvr url-gw nsm subr-x puny url url-proxy url-privacy
url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util
mailcap longlines parse-time xml cl cal-china lunar solar cal-dst
cal-bahai cal-islam cal-hebrew holidays hol-loaddefs diary-lib
diary-loaddefs cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs server tbemail
org-install hi-lock edmacro kmacro desktop frameset tramp-cache
tramp-sh tramp tramp-compat tramp-loaddefs trampver ucs-normalize
shell pcomplete comint ansi-color ring format-spec advice recentf
tree-widget wid-edit paren bbdb-loaddefs finder-inf package epg-config
url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs
eieio-loaddefs password-cache url-vars seq byte-opt gv bytecomp
byte-compile cl-extra help-mode easymenu cconv cl-loaddefs pcase
cl-lib time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment
elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu
font-core term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese
eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic
indian cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook
help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x
multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 1928195 110906)
 (symbols 48 229777 2706)
 (miscs 40 62968 2552)
 (strings 32 534238 48562)
 (string-bytes 1 12807436)
 (vectors 16 147050)
 (vector-slots 8 2749266 35218)
 (floats 8 1451 1878)
 (intervals 56 95544 1461)
 (buffers 976 549)
 (heap 1024 194509 178324))