Subject: Re: bug#24926: ls output has been made ugly

From: Michael Schwager <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2016 14:37:15 -0600

On Fri, Nov 11, 2016 at 2:00 PM, Eric Blake <[email-masked]> wrote:

> ...Having two
> different quoting modes, where you can choose between the options, may
> be the way to go - but then you STILL have the problem of what to pick
> as the default of those two modes when neither one was explicitly
> requested.
>

Exactly. So if you want to call ls' old behavior "broken", which I presume
that one would do to justify creating this change, then your choices boil
down to:
- Leave decades of behavior in place, and deal with "broken" output, or
- Create new, different broken output.

It boggles my mind that someone decided we should have a new default. The
output is not better, confusingly, the output is different depending on if
you send to terminal or not, and I have not seen any great desire in the
community for this change.

-- 
-Mike Schwager