Subject: bug#24919: closed (Re: bug#24919: 24.5; battery.el not working in FreeBSD)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2019 03:27:02 +0000

Your bug report

#24919: 24.5; battery.el not working in FreeBSD

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
24919: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=24919
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#24919: 24.5; battery.el not working in FreeBSD
From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
To: Joseph Mingrone <[email-masked]>
Cc: Ignacio Torres <[email-masked]>, Alan Third <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], Joakim Jalap <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2019 04:26:13 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]> writes:

> Joseph Mingrone <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> I don't see any commits related to this bug/patch, but I just tested M-x
>> battery in an Emacs master branch build (604a985) on FreeBSD 12.0 and
>> the output looks correct.
>>
>> Here is some example output.
>>
>> Power connected, battery high (100% load, remaining time N/A)
>> Power disconnected, battery high (100% load, remaining time 4:21)
>> Power disconnected, battery high (99% load, remaining time 3:30)
>
> Thanks.  Does that mean that the patch is not necessary for FreeBSD?
>
> Is there anyone that could help test this also on OpenBSD?

I re-read the original report, and it seems like I misread: this was
*not* an issue on OpenBSD, and should therefore need no further
testing here.

Since Joseph has helped confirm that things are now working also on
FreeBSD, and no one else has commented in 3.5 weeks, I'll go ahead and
close this bug.

If anyone is still seeing issues with M-x battery on any *BSD system,
please reopen the bug report.

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas

Subject: 24.5; battery.el not working in FreeBSD
From: Ignacio Torres <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2016 01:17:26 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Running M-x battery in FreeBSD returns:

Power disconnected, battery high (illegal% load, remaining time 0:00)

The battery-bsd-apm function was contributed in [1]. It contains:

(apm-cmd (concat "/usr/sbin/apm -ablm" apm-flag))

The -m flag used in NetBSD[2] and OpenBSD[3] to show the remaining time
in minutes does not exist in FreeBSD[4]. Instead -t should be used to
show the remaining time in seconds.

Also the resulting output is in a different order than that expected by
the parser. battery-bsd-apm expects the order to be:

battery-status
battery-percentage
battery-life
line-status
apm-mode

In FreeBSD it is:

line-status
battery-status
battery-percentage
apm-mode
battery-life

As can be seen in the source of /usr/sbin/apm.c[5]

[1] http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/commit/lisp/battery.el?id=19b748ad448c37d08ae1df1212aec22ee1d55956
[2] http://netbsd.gw.com/cgi-bin/man-cgi?apm++NetBSD-current
[3] http://man.openbsd.org/OpenBSD-current/man8/amd64/apm.8
[4] https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=apm&manpath=FreeBSD+10.3-RELEASE+and+Ports
[5] https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/stable/11/usr.sbin/apm/apm.c?revision=302408&view=markup#l472

In GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (amd64-portbld-freebsd12.0, GTK+ Version 2.24.29)
 of 2016-08-27 on builds.trueos.org
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11804000
Configured using:
 `configure --localstatedir=/var --disable-acl --with-dbus
 --without-file-notification --with-gconf --with-gif --with-gnutls
 --with-gsettings --with-jpeg --with-m17n-flt --with-imagemagick
 --with-libotf --with-png --with-toolkit-scroll-bars --with-rsvg
 --with-tiff --with-x --with-xft --with-xim --with-xml2 --with-xpm
 --with-x-toolkit=gtk2 --with-sound=oss --x-libraries=/usr/local/lib
 --x-includes=/usr/local/include --prefix=/usr/local
 --mandir=/usr/local/man --infodir=/usr/local/share/emacs/info/
 --build=amd64-portbld-freebsd12.0 'CFLAGS=-O2 -pipe -isystem
 /usr/local/include -fstack-protector -fno-strict-aliasing'
 'CPPFLAGS=-isystem /usr/local/include' 'LDFLAGS= -L/usr/local/lib
 -Wl,-rpath=/usr/lib:/usr/local/lib -fstack-protector''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix