Subject: bug#24917: 24.5; M-x manual-entry caching

From: Ed Avis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2016 07:54:47 +0000

M-x manual-entry will generate a formatted manual page.  If you request
the same page later then it will switch to the existing buffer if open.
But the manual page might have changed in the meantime.  Could Emacs
check the timestamp on the file in /usr/share/man and rerun 'man' if so?

In GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.18.9)
 of 2016-04-11 on buildvm-25.phx2.fedoraproject.org
Configured using:
 `configure --build=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
 --host=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu --program-prefix=
 --disable-dependency-tracking --prefix=/usr --exec-prefix=/usr
 --bindir=/usr/bin --sbindir=/usr/sbin --sysconfdir=/etc
 --datadir=/usr/share --includedir=/usr/include --libdir=/usr/lib64
 --libexecdir=/usr/libexec --localstatedir=/var
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --mandir=/usr/share/man
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --with-dbus --with-gif --with-jpeg --with-png
 --with-rsvg --with-tiff --with-xft --with-xpm --with-x-toolkit=gtk3
 --with-gpm=no build_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
 host_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu 'CFLAGS=-DMAIL_USE_LOCKF -O2 -g
 -pipe -Wall -Werror=format-security -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
 -fexceptions -fstack-protector-strong --param=ssp-buffer-size=4
 -grecord-gcc-switches -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-hardened-cc1
 -m64 -mtune=generic' LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro'

Important settings:
  value of $LC_COLLATE: C
  value of $LC_CTYPE: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $LC_MONETARY: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $LC_TIME: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
Mark set [3 times]
Auto-saving...done
Quit [2 times]
Saving file /home/eda/git_working/repos/linux/crontab.tradingsystems.wcl-linux-live...
Wrote /home/eda/git_working/repos/linux/crontab.tradingsystems.wcl-linux-live
Finding changes in /home/eda/git_working/repos/linux/crontab.tradingsystems.wcl-linux-live...done
Mark set
Press C-c C-c when you are done editing.
Enter a change comment.  Type C-c C-c when done
Checking in /home/eda/git_working/repos/linux/crontab.tradingsystems.wcl-linux-live...done
Quit [2 times]

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug sendmail nxml-uchnm rng-xsd xsd-regexp
rng-cmpct rng-nxml rng-valid rng-loc rng-uri rng-parse nxml-parse
rng-match rng-dt rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-ns nxml-mode nxml-outln
nxml-rap nxml-util nxml-glyph nxml-enc xmltok sh-script smie executable
pcmpl-rpm tabify imenu man log-edit message idna format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader cus-edit wid-edit
perl-mode add-log log-view pcvs-util help-mode dabbrev diff-mode
easy-mmode vc vc-dispatcher cus-start cus-load sql view misearch
multi-isearch vc-git python easymenu json ffap thingatpt url-parse
auth-source eieio byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra cl-loaddefs
cl-lib cconv eieio-core gnus-util mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr
password-cache url-vars pcmpl-unix xterm time-date paren server compile
shell pcomplete comint ring ansi-color tooltip electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
dbusbind gfilenotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 353730 61548)
 (symbols 48 25869 0)
 (miscs 40 332 1363)
 (strings 32 39048 4445)
 (string-bytes 1 1170262)
 (vectors 16 18540)
 (vector-slots 8 482783 23785)
 (floats 8 197 431)
 (intervals 56 39087 89)
 (buffers 960 52)
 (heap 1024 40164 7845))