Subject: bug#24915: closed (Re: bug#24915: alignment not working)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2017 13:24:02 +0000

Your bug report

#24915: alignment not working

which was filed against the parted package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
24915: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=24915
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#24915: alignment not working
From: Phil Susi <[email-masked]>
To: "Sobel-Sorenson, Chandler - (scar)" <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2017 09:25:26 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On 11/9/2016 7:02 PM, Sobel-Sorenson, Chandler - (scar) wrote:
> I'm trying to make a new partition but the alignment isn't working.  I've started parted with: parted -a optimal /dev/sda.  Then:
> 
>  (parted) mkpart                                                           
> Partition name?  []? variables                                            
> File system type?  [ext2]? ext4                                           
> Start? 0                                                                  
> End? 4g                                                                   
> Warning: The resulting partition is not properly aligned for best performance.
> Ignore/Cancel? 
> 
> Am i doing something wrong here?

Yes: you specified a start position of 0 (mb), which means try to start
as close to zero as possible. Zero itself is not available, so sector 1
is used, and this is not aligned. Specify a start of 1 instead.

Subject: alignment not working
From: "Sobel-Sorenson, Chandler - (scar)" <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2016 00:02:37 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I'm trying to make a new partition but the alignment isn't working.  I've started parted with: parted -a optimal /dev/sda.  Then:

 (parted) mkpart                                                           
Partition name?  []? variables                                            
File system type?  [ext2]? ext4                                           
Start? 0                                                                  
End? 4g                                                                   
Warning: The resulting partition is not properly aligned for best performance.
Ignore/Cancel? 

Am i doing something wrong here?