Subject: Re: bug#24914: 24.5; isearch-regexp: wrong error message

From: Noam Postavsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2017 08:32:42 -0500

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: Noam Postavsky <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2017 20:18:02 -0500
>> Cc: [email-masked]
>> 
>> > Emacs never did (the MS-DOS port of Emacs runs in i386 32-bit
>> > protected mode on top of a 16-bit OS).  But regex.c did, at some very
>> > distant past, to support the 16-bit MS compiler, or at least it tried
>> > to.
>> 
>> So changing to 2^31 as the max should be fine, right?
>
> Or maybe just INT_MAX?

I thought it would be easier to document the limit if it's fixed across
all machines.  Otherwise we would have to say something like "For both
forms, m and n, if specified, may be no larger than INT_MAX, which is
usually 2**31 - 1, but could be 2**63 - 1 depending on the compiler used
for building Emacs".