Subject: bug#24903: "tail -f - foo" does not terminate when stdin is closed and foo is ignored

From: Julian Büning <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2016 15:51:08 +0100

On 11/08/2016 06:47 PM, Pádraig Brady wrote:
> p.s. These Symbolic Execution techniques are intriguing.
> Have you any more details.

Thanks for your interest in our techniques. Symbolic Execution is a 
dynamic analysis method to automatically find bugs by executing a 
program with symbolic inputs, therefore reasoning about all possible 
execution paths. We based our work on KLEE [1], a symbolic execution 
engine, which has previously been used to find memory access violations 
in the GNU Coreutils suite [2]. We extended KLEE by adding the ability 
to automatically find unintended non-termination, such as the two bugs 
we reported on this mailing list. Unfortunately, I cannot share any 
details right now, as we are currently preparing a publication of our 
work. I will be happy to follow up once our paper has been published.

[1] http://klee.github.io
[2] http://llvm.org/pubs/2008-12-OSDI-KLEE.html

Regards,
Julian