Subject: 25.1; C-x = for Unicode

From: "Ulrich Windl" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2016 13:02:37 +0100

When trying to insert a Unicode character using new C-X 8 RET, I
realized that C-x = does not print the unicode name of the character,
but just "Char: ‒ (8210, #o20022, #x2012) point=146 of 146 (99%)
column=0" (for example).

I think it would be a logical extension to display the Unicode character
name also for C-x =.

In GNU Emacs 25.1.1 (x86_64-w64-mingw32)
 of 2016-09-17 built on LAPHROAIG
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
Configured using:
 'configure --without-dbus --without-compress-install CFLAGS=-static'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG SOUND NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: DEU
  locale-coding-system: cp1252

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
c is undefined
mouse-2, RET: find variable's definition
C-c C-, is undefined
C-c C-; is undefined
Making completion list...
Char: ‒ (8210, #o20022, #x2012) point=146 of 146 (99%) column=0
ad-Advice-delete-char: Text is read-only [2 times]
Making completion list... [2 times]
ad-Advice-delete-char: Text is read-only
Making completion list... [2 times]

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message dired rfc822 mml mml-sec epg
epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mail-utils
iso-transl apropos noutline outline view ido seq ess-toolbar ess-mouse
ess-dde mouseme thingatpt browse-url ess-menu ess-swv ess-noweb
ess-noweb-font-lock-mode ess-bugs-l essd-els ess-sas-d ess-sas-l
ess-sas-a ess-sta-d ess-sta-l cc-vars cc-defs make-regexp ess-sp6w-d
ess-sp3-d ess-julia julia-mode ert pp find-func ewoc debug rx derived
ess-r-d ess-r-syntax ess-r-completion ess-roxy essddr hideshow ess-help
info reporter ess-r-package ess-s-l speedbar sb-image ezimage dframe ess
ess-inf ess-tracebug easy-mmode compile ess-mode ess-noweb-mode edmacro
kmacro ess-utils tramp tramp-compat auth-source cl-seq eieio byte-opt
bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra cconv eieio-core gnus-util mm-util
help-fns help-mode mail-prsvr password-cache tramp-loaddefs cl-macs
trampver ucs-normalize shell pcomplete comint ansi-color ring
format-spec advice ess-generics cl gv cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib
ess-custom executable easymenu ess-compat ess-site paren cus-start
cus-load time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel dos-w32 ls-lisp disp-table w32-win
w32-vars term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces
cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format
env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
w32notify w32 multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 436320 22595)
 (symbols 56 40634 0)
 (miscs 48 169 311)
 (strings 32 102604 15754)
 (string-bytes 1 2535070)
 (vectors 16 49188)
 (vector-slots 8 1666056 249236)
 (floats 8 313 446)
 (intervals 56 2161 22)
 (buffers 976 27))