Subject: Re: bug#24902: 25.1; C-x = for Unicode

From: Kévin Le Gouguec <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2022 17:56:15 +0100

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> "Ulrich Windl" <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> When trying to insert a Unicode character using new C-X 8 RET, I
>> realized that C-x = does not print the unicode name of the character,
>> but just "Char: ‒ (8210, #o20022, #x2012) point=146 of 146 (99%)
>> column=0" (for example).
>>
>> I think it would be a logical extension to display the Unicode character
>> name also for C-x =.
>
> (I'm going through old bug reports that unfortunately weren't resolved
> at the time.)
>
> As others noted, `C-u C-x =' does display this info, and the reason that
> `C-x =' doesn't is because the names can be very long.  We could add a
> user option to include it anyway, but in my opinion, it wouldn't be used
> much, and users that want this could just add advice to the command to
> do it instead.
>
> So I'm closing this bug report.

Note that Emacs 27 introduced what-cursor-show-names, which does exactly
what is requested in this report IIUC.

I'm a happy user of that option, FWIW.