Subject: bug#24902: 25.1; C-x = for Unicode

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2022 17:20:28 +0100

"Ulrich Windl" <[email-masked]> writes:

> When trying to insert a Unicode character using new C-X 8 RET, I
> realized that C-x = does not print the unicode name of the character,
> but just "Char: ‒ (8210, #o20022, #x2012) point=146 of 146 (99%)
> column=0" (for example).
>
> I think it would be a logical extension to display the Unicode character
> name also for C-x =.

(I'm going through old bug reports that unfortunately weren't resolved
at the time.)

As others noted, `C-u C-x =' does display this info, and the reason that
`C-x =' doesn't is because the names can be very long.  We could add a
user option to include it anyway, but in my opinion, it wouldn't be used
much, and users that want this could just add advice to the command to
do it instead.

So I'm closing this bug report.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no