Subject: Re: bug#24902: Antw: [EXT] Re: bug#24902: 25.1; C-x = for Unicode

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2022 16:47:49 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> For example, when there's some problem with cursor position, and I
> want to know where point _really_ is.  Also, when there are many
> similar characters in the buffer, and seeing both the character itself
> and its position goes a long way towards disambiguating stuff.
>
> The "part of display ..." and the EOB indication are also occasionally
> very useful.

Thanks; I see.  This sounds very useful especially when debugging the
Emacs display, but perhaps isn't what most users would feel is vital?
(But I don't know one way or the other.)

What I see attractive about splitting this up into two commands is that
there's more information about positions and characters that would be
useful, I think.  For instance, when I'm wondering about a character
it's because it's odd to me somehow, so knowing the name and the
general-category of the character (in addition to the Unicode char
number) is what I'd like to know.

And for positions, I'd really like to know the percentage point of the
line.

If we split this up into two commands, but added a user option to get
the combined display back on `C-x =', would that be acceptable for you?
(I'm not saying that I actually want that, but just exploring what our
options are here; I don't have any strong feelings on the matter.)

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no