Subject: Re: bug#24902: Antw: [EXT] Re: bug#24902: 25.1; C-x = for Unicode

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2022 16:57:13 +0200

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked],  [email-masked],
>   [email-masked],  [email-masked],
>   [email-masked]
> Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2022 15:34:25 +0100
> 
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > I would also hate to use two commands where one does the job today.
> > "C-x =" is a command I use very frequently, and it is very useful.
> 
> Do you use it to examine the character under point and its position at
> the same time?  If so, when?

For example, when there's some problem with cursor position, and I
want to know where point _really_ is.  Also, when there are many
similar characters in the buffer, and seeing both the character itself
and its position goes a long way towards disambiguating stuff.

The "part of display ..." and the EOB indication are also occasionally
very useful.