Subject: bug#24902: Antw: [EXT] Re: bug#24902: 25.1; C-x = for Unicode

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2022 16:39:47 +0100

Mattias Engdegård <[email-masked]> writes:

>> 2) Should the percentage be included when point position is included?
>
> That percentage smelled "included because we could" from afar. It's
> not very useful; the current/maximum point positions give the user a
> good idea how far in the buffer he is.

Stepping back a bit, `C-x =' does two things now, and neither very well:
It says something about the character under point, and it says something
about where in the buffer you are.

I think it might make more sense to split this into two commands, where
one would more fully describe the character under point, and the other
command says where you are in the buffer.

For instance, it would be nice if it said what percentage the line you're
at is.  (Nice if you're going through a list of items and wonder what
percentage you're at.)

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no