Subject: Re: bug#24891: 25.1: Falsehood on page "Major Modes" of Emacs manual.

From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2016 22:14:05 +0000

Hello, Drew.

On Mon, Nov 07, 2016 at 12:51:02PM -0800, Drew Adams wrote:
> > >      and we can drop the comma before "prior".

> > Maybe, maybe not.  The bit beginning with "prior" isn't qualifying
> > what comes before, it's adding an extra bit of independent information,
> > so the comma is justified.

> I don't agree.  It is not an independent clause - it cannot stand
> alone.  It is an adverbial clause that qualifies how (when) the modes
> run the p-g-m hook.

Sorry to keep pounding on at this one, but I see the reason for the comma
now.  It's because the "prior ..." bit applies to the "text-mode-hook"
bit as well as the "prog-mode-hook" bit.  The comma prevents "prior ..."
from attaching exclusively to the "prog-mode-hook" bit.

Anyway, good afternoon (for you), good night (for me)!

[ .... ]

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).