Subject: bug#24891: 25.1: Falsehood on page "Major Modes" of Emacs manual.

From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2016 19:46:42 +0000

Hello, Richard.

On Mon, Nov 07, 2016 at 09:43:29AM -0500, Richard Stallman wrote:
> [[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
> [[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
> [[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]

>   >     all programming language modes run `prog-mode-hook', prior to
>   >     running their own mode hooks.

>   > This is not true.  A counter example is stand alone CC Mode.

> Shouldn't we arrange for that to get fixed?

No, because it's not broken.  One of the purposes of stand alone CC Mode
is to run on versions of (X)Emacs other than the latest Emacs.
Traditionally, define-derived-mode has had defects which have resulted
in bugs revealed by CC Mode - hopefully the last of these has now been
fixed.  So it's handy to have a CC Mode which isn't defined by
define-derived-mode.

The main point of my bug report still stands - there are an unknown
number of programming language modes out there which are not derived
from prog-mode.  This makes the sentence fragment referred to untrue, so
it should be modified.

> -- 
> Dr Richard Stallman
> President, Free Software Foundation (gnu.org, fsf.org)
> Internet Hall-of-Famer (internethalloffame.org)
> Skype: No way! See stallman.org/skype.html.

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).