Subject: bug#24889: file-remote-p should not return user-error on some strings

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2016 10:07:56 +0100

Thierry Volpiatto <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi Michael,

Hi Thierry,

> I have a bug report at helm about an error when calling helm-find-files
> on a string like `@uref{http://www.doc.ic.ac.uk/lab/cplus/c++.rules/}`.
> Seeing the backtrace, it looks it comes from `file-remote-p` which
> return a user-error in such case, perhaps it should return nil ?
>
> See https://github.com/emacs-helm/helm/issues/1638

Sorry that I come that late to you; I have been offline for a couple of days.

> Note that this is not reproductible on emacs-24.5.

I could reproduce it also on Emacs 24.5.

Anyway, I've started yesterday working on this. Not trivial to fix, I
fear. As consequence, any fix will go into the master branch (Emacs 26)
only.

There is also the bug report #24889 about this. Further communication
shall happen there.

> Thanks.

Best regards, Michael.