Subject: bug#24876: 26.0.50; alist copied by copy-tree shares structure with original

From: Gemini Lasswell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2016 08:51:36 -0700

copy-tree will recursively copy structures inside of vectors if you pass
it a non-nil vecp argument. But it fails to recursively copy structures
inside of vectors in alists constructed with dotted pairs. To reproduce,
enter the following code into *scratch* and M-x eval-buffer RET:

(defun my-copy-tree-bug ()
  (let* ((vec-ab (vector 'a 'b))
	 (vec-abcd (vector vec-ab (vector 'c 'd)))
	 (vec-alist (list (list 'key vec-abcd)))
	 (vec-alist-copy (copy-tree vec-alist t))
	 (vec-dotted-alist (list (cons 'key vec-abcd)))
	 (vec-dotted-alist-copy (copy-tree vec-dotted-alist t)))
    (message "Before:")
    (message " Original: %S \tCopy: %S" vec-alist vec-alist-copy)
    (message " Original: %S \tCopy: %S" vec-dotted-alist vec-dotted-alist-copy)

    (aset vec-ab 0 'foo)
    (message "After change to original:")
    (message " Original: %S \tCopy: %S" vec-alist vec-alist-copy)
    (message " Original: %S \tCopy: %S" vec-dotted-alist vec-dotted-alist-copy)))

(my-copy-tree-bug)

Result:
The copy is independent of the original of the alist constructed
with a list but not independent of the original of the alist constructed
with a dotted pair.

In GNU Emacs 26.0.50.23 (x86_64-apple-darwin15.6.0, NS appkit-1404.47 Version 10.11.6 (Build 15G1004))
 of 2016-11-03 built on rainbow.local
Repository revision: 1a2e210db7d85d8cf5f7205a0e4acc49f2ac6e67
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.1404
Recent messages:
 Original: ((key . [(foo b) (c d)])) 	Copy: ((key . [(foo b) (c d)]))
" Original: ((key . [(foo b) (c d)])) 	Copy: ((key . [(foo b) (c d)]))"
my-copy-tree-bug
Before:
 Original: ((key [[a b] [c d]])) 	Copy: ((key [[a b] [c d]]))
 Original: ((key . [[a b] [c d]])) 	Copy: ((key . [[a b] [c d]]))
After change to original:
 Original: ((key [[foo b] [c d]])) 	Copy: ((key [[a b] [c d]]))
 Original: ((key . [[foo b] [c d]])) 	Copy: ((key . [[foo b] [c d]]))
" Original: ((key . [[foo b] [c d]])) 	Copy: ((key . [[foo b] [c d]]))"

Configured using:
 'configure --with-ns --disable-ns-self-contained'

Configured features:
JPEG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
NS

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Emacs-Lisp

Minor modes in effect:
  global-undo-tree-mode: t
  undo-tree-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  ivy-mode: t
  global-flycheck-mode: t
  flycheck-mode: t
  buffer-face-mode: t
  yas-global-mode: t
  yas-minor-mode: t
  global-company-mode: t
  company-mode: t
  pyvenv-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  nameless-mode: t
  beacon-mode: t
  rainbow-mode: t
  column-enforce-mode: t
  volatile-highlights-mode: t
  region-state-mode: t
  ws-butler-global-mode: t
  ws-butler-mode: t
  show-smartparens-global-mode: t
  show-smartparens-mode: t
  smartparens-global-mode: t
  smartparens-global-strict-mode: t
  smartparens-strict-mode: t
  smartparens-mode: t
  which-key-mode: t
  modalka-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  size-indication-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived
epg gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
tabify add-log log-view pcvs-util vc vc-dispatcher debug origami
origami-parsers ielm pp hl-line hideshow imenu-list imenu visual-regexp
highlight-symbol disp-table fill-column-indicator undo-tree diff
dired-aux expand-region text-mode-expansions cc-mode-expansions
python-el-fgallina-expansions er-basic-expansions expand-region-core
expand-region-custom dash-at-point cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus
cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs eieio-opt speedbar
sb-image ezimage dframe tcover-2 testcover edebug comment-dwim-2 vc-git
diff-mode colir flx dired dired-loaddefs counsel esh-util swiper ivy
delsel ffap flycheck find-func rx face-remap guess-style smtpmail
sendmail mail-utils company-capf company-files yasnippet
highlight-indentation flymake company help-fns radix-tree elpy pyvenv
elpy-refactor smartparens-python python tramp-sh tramp tramp-compat
tramp-loaddefs trampver shell pcomplete format-spec json map grep
compile files-x cus-edit virtualenvwrapper gud comint nameless lisp-mnt
ace-window avy beacon smex ido deft debbugs soap-client mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode url-http tls gnutls url-auth mail-parse rfc2231
rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums mail-prsvr url-gw nsm subr-x puny url
url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
url-domsuf url-util mailcap warnings rng-xsd rng-dt rng-util xsd-regexp
xml rainbow-mode ansi-color color s hydra lv column-enforce-mode etags
xref project volatile-highlights region-state ws-butler
smartparens-config smartparens thingatpt dash which-key modalka quail
smart-mode-line-dark-theme smart-mode-line advice rich-minority
whiteboard-theme classic-theme recentf tree-widget wid-edit autorevert
filenotify winner ring time cus-start cus-load savehist cap-words
superword subword use-package diminish bind-key easy-mmode finder-inf
edmacro kmacro info cl package epg-config url-handlers url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs
password-cache url-vars seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra
help-mode easymenu cconv cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib time-date mule-util
tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel term/ns-win ns-win ucs-normalize term/common-win tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese charscript case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face
macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote kqueue
cocoa ns multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 755982 118671)
 (symbols 48 47054 1)
 (miscs 40 3486 3707)
 (strings 32 120683 149916)
 (string-bytes 1 3559912)
 (vectors 16 77911)
 (vector-slots 8 1922399 95872)
 (floats 8 1077 1577)
 (intervals 56 28644 4185)
 (buffers 976 37))