Subject: bug#24870: 26.0.50; parse-partial-sexp ignores comment-end

From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2016 16:44:58 +0000

Hello, Noam.

On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 11:33:36AM -0500, Noam Postavsky wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 14, 2016 at 4:58 PM, Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]> wrote:

> > Alas, that patch won't do.

> I thought that might be the case.

> > What is new here is characters with paren syntax also being components of
> > 2-char comment delimiters.  I recently fixed a similar problem when
> > characters with word syntax were also flagged as 2-char comment delimiter
> > parts.  I think a similar patch at case label Sopen: (Line ~3322), which
> > would peek ahead at the next character to check for "{-" before
> > recognising the "{" as an open paren would be the best fix.

> I don't think special casing Sopen makes sense, shouldn't the check
> apply to all syntax classes?

Maybe.  I'm too tired to work this out at the moment (it was the office
Glühwein day).

> (the special case for word syntax does make sense, because it has its
> own inner loop already)

As does comment syntax, of course.

> > Do you want to make this fix, or should I do it?  If you want to do it,
> > I'm willing (indeed, eager) to review it for you.

> I'll have a patch ready in a day or two.

Excellent!  Or even in three or four days.  Take your time, do it well
(at least, better than I managed last time round) and enjoy doing it.

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).