Subject: Re: bug#24870: 26.0.50; parse-partial-sexp ignores comment-end

From: Andreas Röhler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2016 09:18:01 +0100

On 14.12.2016 20:56, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
>
> We're talking about 9dcf5998935c8aaa846d7585b81f0dcfe1935b3d from Sun
> Mar 20 13:19:48 2016 +0000, still?
>
> The idea is that in a (parse-partial-sexp from to), the end position
> might be in the middle of a two character comment marker, such as "/*".
> Before this change, it was impossible successfully to use the result of
> that operation as the old state for continuing parse-partial-sexp from
> that position, since it did not contain enough info to see it was in a
> comment after passing the "*"
>
> The change 9dcf599 added an extra element onto the parse state which was
> non-nil when we end up after a "/", etc.
>
>

Hi Alan,

sounds like a classical mistake for me.

You commented lately on the effect of narrowing and how simply to 
respect its results. Nothing further to say here.

OTOH: do you have a use-case, a bug, which propelled the amendment?

Thanks,

Andreas