Subject: Re: bug#24868: 26.0.50; LaTeX-verbatim-macros-with-delims-local isn't taken into account

From: Tassilo Horn <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2016 19:35:36 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Starting from emacs -Q with (add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.tex$"
>> . LaTeX-mode)), opening the attached file produces incorrect
>> highlighting.  This is due to LaTeX-verbatim-macros-with-delims-local
>> not being applied properly.
>
> Maybe I'm blind, but I seem to be unable to reproduce this.  Can you
> tell which highlighting is incorrect, i.e. what should happen and what
> does happen?
>
> Also, in what version of Emacs did this work?

I guess Clement is actually reporting an AUCTeX bug and accidentally
used `report-emacs-bug' instead of `TeX-submit-bug-report'.

And Clément is right.  With the current AUCTeX version modifying
`LaTeX-verbatim-macros-with-delims-local' and friends as a file-local or
directory-local variable doesn't refresh fontification.  Until now,
these variables have been meant mostly for style file authors, and when
a style is loaded, fontification will be recomputed.  But Clément's
use-case is valid, of course.

So Eli,

(1) can we move that bug to the auctex debbugs category?

(2) there's no hook-like thing that would be run whenever some specific
    variable is modified due to file-local or directory-local variables,
    no?  So I guess the right way to make Clément's use-case work was to
    provide functions for modifying those variables that can be run from
    an eval: local variables block and then refresh the fontification if
    needed, right?

Bye,
Tassilo