Subject: bug#24867: 25.1; Gnu Emacs on Windows 8 very slow when VPN connection is used

From: herbert kw <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2016 15:07:47 +0000

I'm using Gnu emasc 25.1 on Windows 8 and normally I don't have any
problems with speed/responsiveness.

I'm launching Emacs with the runemacs.exe

However, when I am travelling and try to connect to my company network via
VPN (or just working offline without a connection to the company network),
Emacs often becomes incredibly slow - it might take many minutes to open a
buffer and it just does not respond to keyboard commands.

I am not connected to the company network, then I have no problems. What
could be the problem?

Please excuse my bad English

Greetings Matthias

--text follows this line--
n GNU Emacs 25.1.1 (x86_64-w64-mingw32)
 of 2016-09-22 built on KAEL
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 6.3.9600
Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/tmp/emacs --without-imagemagick --without-dbus
 --with-modules 'CFLAGS=-O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -g0''

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG SOUND NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS MODULES

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: DEU
  locale-coding-system: utf-8

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  recentf-mode: t
  popwin-mode: t
  rainbow-delimiters-mode: t
  highlight-numbers-mode: t
  server-mode: t
  global-hl-todo-mode: t
  hl-todo-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  which-key-mode: t
  helm-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  nyan-mode: t
  spaceline-helm-mode: t
  which-function-mode: t
  global-anzu-mode: t
  anzu-mode: t
  fancy-battery-mode: t
  global-hl-line-mode: t
  beacon-mode: t
  global-page-break-lines-mode: t
  page-break-lines-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  global-prettify-symbols-mode: t
  prettify-symbols-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  global-visual-line-mode: t
  visual-line-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
ad-handle-definition: ‘image-dired-dired-toggle-marked-thumbs’ got redefined
Key Chord mode on
Loading d:/.emacs.d/recentf...done
Cleaning up the recentf list...done (0 removed)

Load-path shadows:
d:/.emacs.d/elpa/seq-2.16/seq hides
d:/unix/emacs-25.1/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/emacs-lisp/seq

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rfc822 mml mml-sec epg mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mail-utils recentf tree-widget
key-chord popwin rainbow-delimiters highlight-numbers parent-mode server
hl-todo hi-lock autorevert filenotify winner doc-view jka-compr
image-mode writegood-mode smart-mode-line rich-minority which-key
helm-mode helm-files rx image-dired tramp tramp-compat tramp-loaddefs
trampver shell pcomplete format-spec dired-x dired-aux ffap helm-buffers
helm-elscreen helm-tags helm-bookmark helm-adaptive helm-info bookmark
pp helm-locate helm-grep helm-regexp helm-external helm-net browse-url
xml url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history
url-cookie url-domsuf url-util url-parse auth-source gnus-util mm-util
help-fns mail-prsvr password-cache url-vars mailcap helm-utils compile
comint ansi-color ring helm-help helm-types helm helm-source cl-seq
eieio-compat eieio eieio-core helm-multi-match helm-lib dired savehist
nyan-mode spaceline-config spaceline-segments s ucs-normalize spaceline
powerline cl-macs powerline-separators powerline-themes which-func imenu
anzu thingatpt fancy-battery battery bug-hunter hl-line windmove
stripe-buffer advice beacon page-break-lines edmacro kmacro
solarized-light-theme solarized color dash validate cus-edit cus-start
cus-load wid-edit subr-x use-package diminish bind-key easy-mmode
finder-inf info package epg-config seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile
cl-extra help-mode easymenu cconv cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib paren delsel
time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel dos-w32 ls-lisp disp-table w32-win w32-vars
term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces
cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format
env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
w32notify w32 multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 454907 298382)
 (symbols 56 36915 409)
 (miscs 48 76 211)
 (strings 32 76409 184828)
 (string-bytes 1 2146011)
 (vectors 16 55553)
 (vector-slots 8 908274 133980)
 (floats 8 699 1137)
 (intervals 56 382 277)
 (buffers 976 18))

-- 
Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Matthias Hagedorn