Subject: bug#24867: closed (Re: bug#24867: 25.1; Gnu Emacs on Windows 8 very slow when VPN connection is used)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2017 14:08:02 +0000

Your bug report

#24867: 25.1; Gnu Emacs on Windows 8 very slow when VPN connection is used

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
24867: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=24867
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#24867: 25.1; Gnu Emacs on Windows 8 very slow when VPN connection is used
From: Alan Third <[email-masked]>
To: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], herbert kw <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2017 14:07:01 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: herbert kw <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2016 15:07:47 +0000
>> 
>> However, when I am travelling and try to connect to my company network via VPN (or just working offline
>> without a connection to the company network), Emacs often becomes incredibly slow - it might take many
>> minutes to open a buffer and it just does not respond to keyboard commands.
>> 
>> I am not connected to the company network, then I have no problems. What could be the problem?
>
> The file etc/PROBLEMS describes a similar problem, look for "netlogon"
> there.  Perhaps the solution suggested there will work for you.

I'm going to close this bug report since it's been quite a while since
it's seen any action.

If you're still having this problem please reply and we can re-open it.

-- 
Alan Third

Subject: 25.1; Gnu Emacs on Windows 8 very slow when VPN connection is used
From: herbert kw <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2016 15:07:47 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I'm using Gnu emasc 25.1 on Windows 8 and normally I don't have any
problems with speed/responsiveness.

I'm launching Emacs with the runemacs.exe

However, when I am travelling and try to connect to my company network via
VPN (or just working offline without a connection to the company network),
Emacs often becomes incredibly slow - it might take many minutes to open a
buffer and it just does not respond to keyboard commands.

I am not connected to the company network, then I have no problems. What
could be the problem?

Please excuse my bad English

Greetings Matthias

--text follows this line--
n GNU Emacs 25.1.1 (x86_64-w64-mingw32)
 of 2016-09-22 built on KAEL
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 6.3.9600
Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/tmp/emacs --without-imagemagick --without-dbus
 --with-modules 'CFLAGS=-O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -g0''

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG SOUND NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS MODULES

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: DEU
  locale-coding-system: utf-8

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  recentf-mode: t
  popwin-mode: t
  rainbow-delimiters-mode: t
  highlight-numbers-mode: t
  server-mode: t
  global-hl-todo-mode: t
  hl-todo-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  which-key-mode: t
  helm-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  nyan-mode: t
  spaceline-helm-mode: t
  which-function-mode: t
  global-anzu-mode: t
  anzu-mode: t
  fancy-battery-mode: t
  global-hl-line-mode: t
  beacon-mode: t
  global-page-break-lines-mode: t
  page-break-lines-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  global-prettify-symbols-mode: t
  prettify-symbols-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  global-visual-line-mode: t
  visual-line-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
ad-handle-definition: ‘image-dired-dired-toggle-marked-thumbs’ got redefined
Key Chord mode on
Loading d:/.emacs.d/recentf...done
Cleaning up the recentf list...done (0 removed)

Load-path shadows:
d:/.emacs.d/elpa/seq-2.16/seq hides
d:/unix/emacs-25.1/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/emacs-lisp/seq

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rfc822 mml mml-sec epg mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mail-utils recentf tree-widget
key-chord popwin rainbow-delimiters highlight-numbers parent-mode server
hl-todo hi-lock autorevert filenotify winner doc-view jka-compr
image-mode writegood-mode smart-mode-line rich-minority which-key
helm-mode helm-files rx image-dired tramp tramp-compat tramp-loaddefs
trampver shell pcomplete format-spec dired-x dired-aux ffap helm-buffers
helm-elscreen helm-tags helm-bookmark helm-adaptive helm-info bookmark
pp helm-locate helm-grep helm-regexp helm-external helm-net browse-url
xml url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history
url-cookie url-domsuf url-util url-parse auth-source gnus-util mm-util
help-fns mail-prsvr password-cache url-vars mailcap helm-utils compile
comint ansi-color ring helm-help helm-types helm helm-source cl-seq
eieio-compat eieio eieio-core helm-multi-match helm-lib dired savehist
nyan-mode spaceline-config spaceline-segments s ucs-normalize spaceline
powerline cl-macs powerline-separators powerline-themes which-func imenu
anzu thingatpt fancy-battery battery bug-hunter hl-line windmove
stripe-buffer advice beacon page-break-lines edmacro kmacro
solarized-light-theme solarized color dash validate cus-edit cus-start
cus-load wid-edit subr-x use-package diminish bind-key easy-mmode
finder-inf info package epg-config seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile
cl-extra help-mode easymenu cconv cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib paren delsel
time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel dos-w32 ls-lisp disp-table w32-win w32-vars
term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces
cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format
env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
w32notify w32 multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 454907 298382)
 (symbols 56 36915 409)
 (miscs 48 76 211)
 (strings 32 76409 184828)
 (string-bytes 1 2146011)
 (vectors 16 55553)
 (vector-slots 8 908274 133980)
 (floats 8 699 1137)
 (intervals 56 382 277)
 (buffers 976 18))

-- 
Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Matthias Hagedorn