Subject: bug#24866: closed (Re: bug#24866: AucTeX not working on Emacs 25.1.1 for Mac)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2016 11:48:02 +0000

Your bug report

#24866: AucTeX not working on Emacs 25.1.1 for Mac

which was filed against the auctex package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
24866: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=24866
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#24866: AucTeX not working on Emacs 25.1.1 for Mac
From: Tassilo Horn <[email-masked]>
To: Lars Eriksson <[email-masked]>
Cc: Mosè Giordano <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2016 12:47:00 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Lars Eriksson <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Lars,

> I have now uninstalled it and installed the ELPA version and it worked
> out of the box…

Good, then I close this bug.  Although it is really strange that you
could pin this one single commit which seems to have broken things for
you.  The code in question is exactly the same in the ELPA version.

> How does emacs generate the search path to ELPA? Is the search path
> ~/emacs.d/elpa/ hardcoded into Emacs? I have not added anything to my
> .emacs but it finds auctex without my intervention…

package.el, the Emacs package manager, generates a
<package>-autoloads.el file in case it's not already contained in a
package (which it is not in the case of auctex).  That file contains an
appropriate load-path addition.

> My load path now has the following entries:
> "/Users/larer/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-11.89.6/"
> "/Users/larer/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-11.89.6” as a followup should there be two,
> one with trailing slash and one without?

Oh, right.  In the case of auctex, the generated autoloads file adds the
latter entry and in tex-site.el there's also code that adds the former
entry.  That shouldn't cause any harm but I should probably change the
code in tex-site.el so that no duplicate entry will be added.

Bye,
Tassilo

Subject: AucTeX not working on Emacs 25.1.1 for Mac
From: Lars Eriksson <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2016 12:54:03 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

Might be Emacs and not AucTeX that cause the problems but it was AucTeX that triggered my problems, and I wanted to make you aware...

I have a clean installation of Emacs for Mac 25.1.1 and pulled a fresh auctex from github (see script below). 
In my .emacs I have reduced everything to to (load "auctex.el" nil t t)
When I try to open a LaTeX-file I get the  message: 

File mode specification error: (void-variable LaTeX-preview-setup)

Any clues or instructions?

As a follow-up: I have downgraded to Emacs 24.5 and AucTeX pulled from git works fine there.

Best,
Lars

#!/bin/sh

git clone git://git.savannah.gnu.org/auctex.git

export EMACSMAIN=/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources
export SITELISPDIR=$EMACSMAIN/site-lisp
export INFODIR=$EMACSMAIN/info

cd auctex
./autogen.sh
./configure --with-emacs --with-lispdir=$SITELISPDIR \
--with-auto-dir=$SITELISPDIR/auctex/auto \
--infodir=$INFODIR --without-texmf-dir

make
sudo make install