Subject: bug#24861: [PATCH] Fix annoying "Parsing...done" message in c++-mode

From: Hong Xu <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2016 11:43:53 -0700

On 2016-11-03 Thu 11:15 GMT-0700, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> From: Hong Xu <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: [email-masked]
>> Cc: Andreas Schwab <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2016 16:34:22 -0700
>>
>> On 2016-11-02 Wed 13:21 GMT-0700, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>
>> > (Not that I understand why this particular message needs to be
>> > customizable.)
>>
>> Because the messages by cpp.el is so frequent that it often competes
>> with other useful information.
>
> Yes, but we have lots of similar messages in other places.  A search
> for a call to 'message' that displays "SOMETHING...done" turns up more
> than 270 hits.  Why is this particular package being singled out?

It was not me who singled out this particular package; it was singled
out before, with the frequency hard coded to be 1 second. I just made it
more flexible and correct a misused plain `message'.

>
> Also, what useful information does it conceal?  Can you show a use
> case where this happens?

I've never seen how these information can be useful (ideally I would say
concealing all these cpp-progress-message unless some debug option is
turned on), but I'm probably not qualified enough to make such
assertion.

One annoying case is that I've set up to show the syntax error at point,
but the "Parsing...done" message frequently comes in the way before I
can read the message.