Subject: Re: bug#24857: emacs24/25 FTBFS since a long time on GNU/Hurd

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2016 16:03:29 +0200

> From: Svante Signell <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2016 12:18:33 +0100
> 
> Well, rebooting, checking disks and building again freeze the box hard, no
> successful build this time :(
> Dumping under the name emacs
> 5883168 of 16777216 static heap bytes used
> <box freeze>

Does /var/log/messages (or wherever that is on Hurd) have anything
interesting at that point?

> Are you going to remove the obscure unxec stuff anytime soon? And use system
> malloc functions from glibc instead of home-brewn versions?

We are not yet sure this is due to unexec.  That's why I asked you to
try to run temacs.  If temacs runs well and has no issues, then yes,
unexec is the most likely culprit.

I do wonder what happened in 24.5 that Emacs became unbuildable on
Hurd.  Can you still build 24.4 on your current system?  If so,
perhaps look at the diffs between unexelf.c in 24.4 and the current
version, and try to figure out what changes there cause the failure on
Hurd.

Thanks.