Subject: bug#24857: emacs24/25 FTBFS since a long time on GNU/Hurd

From: Svante Signell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2016 12:18:33 +0100

On Fri, 2016-11-11 at 12:59 +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> > However rebuilding the git from today crashed the box hard: Console output:
> > /hurd/crash: src/bootstrap-emacs -Q(1172), signal {no:11, code:1, error:1},
> > exception {1, code:1, subcode:3496312}, PCs: {0x818d803, 0x51db97c}, Killing
> > task. <and four more similar entries>. This might be a Hurd bug or memory
> > exhaustion.
> Thanks, so what remains to be addressed in this bug report, before we
> declare it done?

Well, rebooting, checking disks and building again freeze the box hard, no
successful build this time :(
Dumping under the name emacs
5883168 of 16777216 static heap bytes used
<box freeze>

This is the behaviour for every build since 24.5. So I don't think this bug can
be closed. There must be ways to build emacs without crashing the gnumach
kernel/ext2 filesystem!

Are you going to remove the obscure unxec stuff anytime soon? And use system
malloc functions from glibc instead of home-brewn versions?