Subject: Re: bug#24844: 26.0.50; electric-newline-and-maybe-indent

From: Andreas Röhler <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2016 20:43:04 +0100

On 01.11.2016 19:45, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> From: Andreas Röhler <[email-masked]> Date: Tue, 1 Nov 
>> 2016 12:23:24 +0100 Docstring of electric-newline-and-maybe-indent 
>> says "Insert a newline. If `electric-indent-mode' is enabled, that's 
>> that, but if it is *disabled* then additionally indent according to 
>> major mode...." I.e disabling `electric-indent-mode' will cause 
>> electric indent? 
> Where does it say that the additional indent is electric? It isn't.

Understand "electric" just as a kind of joint --or additional-- action. 
Wrong?

>> Is this sane? 
> It is to me. Did you look at the code?

No, the experience was concludent with docu.

In haskell-mode at EOL:

factors :: Int -> [Int]

C-j calls

electric-newline-and-maybe-indent

and indents wrongly - there is nothing to indent.

BTW why electric-newline? Isn't the indent the electric action?

In order to avoid the wrong indent, have to enable electric-indent-mode 
- doesn't make sense for me.