Subject: Re: bug#24841: Cross-building bootstrap binaries fail in current master

From: zimoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2021 10:47:56 +0200

Hi,

What is the status of this bug#24841 report [1]?

1: <http://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/24841>

On jeu., 22 févr. 2018 at 10:47, Chris Marusich <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The core-updates branch has been merged into master.  As of
> 5ce3f93bc52280c7c2b1b96097e8cd4a62b53bb0 (committed on 2018/02/18),
> which is after the merge, the following builds PASS or FAIL when run on
> an x86_64-linux GuixSD system:
>
> FAIL:  aarch64-unknown-linux-gnu    bootstrap-tarballs  grafts
> FAIL:  aarch64-unknown-linux-gnu    bootstrap-tarballs  no-grafts
> PASS:  aarch64-unknown-linux-gnu    guile-static        grafts
> PASS:  aarch64-unknown-linux-gnu    guile-static        no-grafts
> FAIL:  arm-unknown-linux-gnueabihf  bootstrap-tarballs  grafts
> FAIL:  arm-unknown-linux-gnueabihf  bootstrap-tarballs  no-grafts
> PASS:  arm-unknown-linux-gnueabihf  guile-static        grafts
> PASS:  arm-unknown-linux-gnueabihf  guile-static        no-grafts
> FAIL:  i686-unknown-linux-gnu       bootstrap-tarballs  grafts
> FAIL:  i686-unknown-linux-gnu       bootstrap-tarballs  no-grafts
> PASS:  i686-unknown-linux-gnu       guile-static        grafts
> PASS:  i686-unknown-linux-gnu       guile-static        no-grafts
> FAIL:  mips64el-unknown-linux-gnu   bootstrap-tarballs  grafts
> FAIL:  mips64el-unknown-linux-gnu   bootstrap-tarballs  no-grafts
> PASS:  mips64el-unknown-linux-gnu   guile-static        grafts
> PASS:  mips64el-unknown-linux-gnu   guile-static        no-grafts
> FAIL:  x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu     bootstrap-tarballs  grafts
> FAIL:  x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu     bootstrap-tarballs  no-grafts
> FAIL:  x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu     guile-static        grafts
> FAIL:  x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu     guile-static        no-grafts
>
> Here, PASS means it builds successfully.  FAIL means it did not.  The
> second column is the target, the third column is the package, and the
> fourth column is whether or not grafts were enabled.  Note that
> "guile-static" is short-hand for "-e '(@@ (gnu packages make-bootstrap)
> %guile-static)'".  So, for example, the first row means that the
> following command failed when I tried it:
>
>     ./pre-inst-env guix build --target=aarch64-unknown-linux-gnu \
>         bootstrap-tarballs

Using Guix 3694c0d on x86_64 and the line,

   time guix build --target=$arch bootstrap-tarballs -q --no-grafts
   time guix build --target=$arch bootstrap-tarballs -q

I get this:

PASS:  aarch64-unknown-linux-gnu    bootstrap-tarballs  grafts
PASS:  aarch64-unknown-linux-gnu    bootstrap-tarballs  no-grafts
PASS:  aarch64-unknown-linux-gnu    guile-static        grafts
PASS:  aarch64-unknown-linux-gnu    guile-static        no-grafts
PASS:  arm-unknown-linux-gnueabihf  bootstrap-tarballs  grafts
PASS:  arm-unknown-linux-gnueabihf  bootstrap-tarballs  no-grafts
PASS:  arm-unknown-linux-gnueabihf  guile-static        grafts
PASS:  arm-unknown-linux-gnueabihf  guile-static        no-grafts
PASS:  i686-unknown-linux-gnu       bootstrap-tarballs  grafts
PASS:  i686-unknown-linux-gnu       bootstrap-tarballs  no-grafts
PASS:  i686-unknown-linux-gnu       guile-static        grafts
PASS:  i686-unknown-linux-gnu       guile-static        no-grafts
PASS:  mips64el-unknown-linux-gnu   bootstrap-tarballs  grafts
PASS:  mips64el-unknown-linux-gnu   bootstrap-tarballs  no-grafts
PASS:  mips64el-unknown-linux-gnu   guile-static        grafts
PASS:  mips64el-unknown-linux-gnu   guile-static        no-grafts

FAIL:  x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu     bootstrap-tarballs  grafts
FAIL:  x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu     bootstrap-tarballs  no-grafts
FAIL:  x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu     guile-static        grafts
FAIL:  x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu     guile-static        no-grafts

In other words, it is not a cross-compilation issue. :-)

WDYT to close this old report and open another one addressing the
current issues; if they are.

All the best,
simon