Subject: bug#24837: closed (Re: bug#24837: bug#21609: bug#24837: 26.0.50; term.el: In char mode, displayed and executed commands can differ)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2017 08:22:03 +0000

Your bug report

#24837: 26.0.50; term.el: In char mode, displayed and executed commands can differ

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
24837: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=24837
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#24837: bug#21609: bug#24837: 26.0.50; term.el: In char mode, displayed and executed commands can differ
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Phil Sainty <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], bug-gnu-emacs-bounces+psainty=[email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2017 11:20:57 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked],
>  bug-gnu-emacs-bounces+psainty=[email-masked]
> From: Phil Sainty <[email-masked]>
> Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2017 23:54:42 +1300
> 
> On 11/10/17 01:35, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > In that case, the text should say something like
> >   Customize these options to nil if you want the previous behavior.
> > 
> >> In any case I'll see if I can improve the wording...
> 
> I've revised the text for the NEWS entry and both user options.

Thanks, pushed to the release branch.

Subject: 26.0.50; term.el: In char mode, displayed and executed commands can differ
From: Philipp Stephani <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2016 15:10:28 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

emacs -Q
M-x term RET RET
Make sure the terminal is in char mode.
Enter foo-bar C-<backspace> RET

The string "foo-" is now shown in the term buffer, but "foo-bar" has
been sent to the shell.  Typical output is "foo-bar: command not
found".
This is dangerous because a different command is executed than the one
that is visible in the buffer.
Either Emacs should make sure that after C-<backspace> the same command
that is displayed is sent to the shell, or it should disable
C-<backspace> in char mode altogether.

In GNU Emacs 26.0.50.14 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.10.8)
 of 2016-10-31 built on localhost
Repository revision: 8e7b1af1d708dcf41695cf3fbeff9d35cdb8e5b6
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11501000
System Description:	Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Configured using:
 'configure --with-modules --enable-checking
 --enable-check-lisp-object-type 'CFLAGS=-ggdb3 -O0''

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG SOUND GSETTINGS NOTIFY GNUTLS FREETYPE XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 MODULES

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Term

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message subr-x puny seq byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra help-mode cconv cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib
dired dired-loaddefs format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa
derived epg epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils term
disp-table easymenu ehelp ring time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win
x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote inotify dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x
multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 101998 8071)
 (symbols 48 20928 0)
 (miscs 40 339 145)
 (strings 32 19121 4563)
 (string-bytes 1 622106)
 (vectors 16 15237)
 (vector-slots 8 465841 4221)
 (floats 8 185 39)
 (intervals 56 269 0)
 (buffers 976 13)
 (heap 1024 47494 1043))

-- 
Google Germany GmbH
Erika-Mann-Straße 33
80636 München

Registergericht und -nummer: Hamburg, HRB 86891
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Hamburg
Geschäftsführer: Matthew Scott Sucherman, Paul Terence Manicle

Diese E-Mail ist vertraulich.  Wenn Sie nicht der richtige Adressat sind,
leiten Sie diese bitte nicht weiter, informieren Sie den Absender und löschen
Sie die E-Mail und alle Anhänge.  Vielen Dank.

This e-mail is confidential.  If you are not the right addressee please do not
forward it, please inform the sender, and please erase this e-mail including
any attachments.  Thanks.