Subject: Re: bug#24834: Samba commands expect configuration file inside store

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2016 23:16:22 +0100

Hi,

Adonay Felipe Nogueira <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Tested the patch today
>
> It seems that, during the `install' phase, something tries to make
> "/etc/samba" directory.

[...]

>   File "/tmp/guix-build-samba-4.5.1.drv-0/samba-4.5.1/third_party/waf/wafadmin/Utils.py", line 458, in check_dir
>     raise WafError("Cannot create the folder '%s' (error: %s)" % (path, e))
> WafError: Cannot create the folder '/etc/samba' (error: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/etc/samba')  
>
> make: *** [Makefile:11: install] Error 1
> phase `install' failed after 0.5 seconds

That’s a common issue as I mentioned in
<https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=24834#8> (‘sysconfdir’
corresponds to /etc here.)

Do address it, we need to modify Samba’s build system to not attempt to
create /etc.  Samba uses Waf, so we’d have to comment out the Waf bit
that leads to this attempt to create /etc.  I’m not familiar with Waf so
I’d “grep -r” in the source.  :-)

Could you look into it?

There are similar cases in gnu/packages/*.scm but the fix always depends
on the specifics of the build system being used, so nothing that really
helps here I’m afraid.

Thanks,
Ludo’.