Subject: bug#24833: closed (Re: bug#24833: Hydra ignores MIPS-specific patch for Mesa on core-updates)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2016 10:30:02 +0000

Your bug report

#24833: Hydra ignores MIPS-specific patch for Mesa on core-updates

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
24833: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=24833
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#24833: Hydra ignores MIPS-specific patch for Mesa on core-updates
From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
To: Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2016 11:29:33 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]> skribis:

> [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
>> Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]> skribis:
>>
>>> Commit f1267c872fcaed6c53d43b3ff51abb726f7418d6 on core-updates added a
>>> patch to Mesa on MIPS only, in order to prevent unnecessary rebuilds on
>>> other systems.  'guix' running on a MIPS system generates a derivation
>>> that applies the patch, but the derivation generated for MIPS on Hydra
>>> omits the patch.
>>
>> Did it turn out to be the same issue as <http://bugs.gnu.org/24833>, or
>> is it something entirely different?
>
> Bug 24833 is this bug, so yes, by reflexivity it's the same issue, but I
> suspect that's not what you meant to ask :)

Arf, sorry, I meant to ask if this is related to
<https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=24832>.

Commit f1267c872fcaed6c53d43b3ff51abb726f7418d6 doesn’t have the desired
effect: the ‘patches’ field is voluntarily unthunked, so it gets to see
the ‘%current-system’ value that it gets when gl.scm is loaded, hence
the problem we’re experiencing.

This is fixed in 4c93fe83e89473b2d16b93900c87e0da0ceecd6e by making the
patch an input depending on ‘%current-system’, within an ‘inputs’ field.

Thanks!

Ludo’.

Subject: Hydra ignores MIPS-specific patch for Mesa on core-updates
From: Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2016 02:17:35 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Commit f1267c872fcaed6c53d43b3ff51abb726f7418d6 on core-updates added a
patch to Mesa on MIPS only, in order to prevent unnecessary rebuilds on
other systems.  'guix' running on a MIPS system generates a derivation
that applies the patch, but the derivation generated for MIPS on Hydra
omits the patch.

The corresponding build page on Hydra is:

  https://hydra.gnu.org/build/1569732

The derivation for that build is:

  /gnu/store/vyqmm1zdhbzxjnaq0h6k312mm7ywi1bq-mesa-12.0.1.drv

which uses a source derivation:

  /gnu/store/368ns1adxyv5zhnsn5rx40k6ghd9sr39-mesa-12.0.1.tar.xz.drv

and this derivation simply downloads the source tarball.

In contrast, corresponding derivations generated by 'guix' on a
mips64el-linux machine are:

  /gnu/store/1r8m67dn07q2k75gl7rnw09i2kp4a0rd-mesa-12.0.1.drv
  /gnu/store/imyjp7sx1rzwpc9agvcnjvk28i4qcgis-mesa-12.0.1.tar.xz.drv

and the latter derivation is a 'patch-and-repack' derivation that
applies 'mesa-wayland-egl-symbols-check-mips.patch', as expected.

     Mark