Subject: Re: bug#24829: 24.5; `easy-mmode-define-navigation': rename `define-...', per convention

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2020 17:46:10 -0700

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Drew Adams <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Macro `easy-mmode-define-navigation' apparently defines Emacs commands
>> (functions).  Per the Emacs Lisp coding conventions, its seems that the
>> macro should be renamed.
>>
>>>>>From (elisp `Coding Conventions':
>>
>>   Constructs that define a function or variable should be macros, not
>>   functions, and their names should start with `define-'.  The macro
>>                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>   should receive the name to be defined as the first argument.  That
>>   will help various tools find the definition automatically.  Avoid
>>   constructing the names in the macro itself, since that would
>>   confuse these tools.
>
> I'm not sure how much of an edict that's supposed to be.
>
> easy-mmode has other functions/macros using the same naming convention
> (like easy-mmode-define-syntax), but those don't define functions, of
> course.
>
> We could change easy-mmode-define-navigation to, say,
> `define-easy-mmode-navigation', but I'm not sure that would be a net
> win, confusion wise.  Anybody have an opinion here?

FWIW, I also think the original name is less confusing.  It also
includes the package name prefix, which is probably nice given its
surrounding context.

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas