Subject: bug#24802: emacs -Q -nw loads cl-lib

From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2016 19:49:26 -0400

I'm saying that simply starting Emacs (and no more) should not load
any extra libraries beyond those of loadup [1].
This is obviously not comparable to starting Emacs and then
doing some arbitrary operation, like composing a mail.

As you said in

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2015-10/msg00095.html

    Up until now, the rules for pre-loading package X were that either
    (a) some preloaded package requires X, or (b) X will be
    auto-loaded at the beginning of every session by some very
    frequent operation, like visiting the first file or creating a
    window or a frame.

Here we have case b), without needing any operation at all.

OK, it's not "every session", it's "every -nw session in an
xterm-like terminal", but IMO the same should apply.

[1] I don't count the actual term/*.el files themselves in this,
because those that aren't preloaded have traditionally been trivial.
Perhaps xterm.el has become so large, and is used (I guess) in such a
large fraction of without-x builds, that it should be preloaded in
such builds, as x-win.el is in with-x builds. I think that's a
separate issue though. It would however make the issue in this report
obvious.