Subject: bug#24801: 25.1; Reverse regexp search highlighting

From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2016 09:24:02 -0700 (PDT)

emacs -Q

Visit the attached file in text mode.

`C-M-s aa.*' and repeat.  highlighting seems fine, and search moves
forward with one search hit per line, with that search hit including all
of the consecutive a's in the line.

`C-M-r' and repeat (same search pattern).  Search hits are just _pairs_
of consecutive a's (so more than one hit per line), and lines that have
an odd number of consecutive a's do not include the first a in a search
hit.

This seems wrong.  Am I missing something, or is this a bug?

I see this behavior in Emacs 23 and later, but not in Emacs 22 and
before, so I'm guessing this change is maybe intentional.  But it's not
clear to me why it would be.

In GNU Emacs 25.1.1 (x86_64-w64-mingw32)
 of 2016-09-17 built on LAPHROAIG
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
Configured using:
 'configure --without-dbus --without-compress-install CFLAGS=-static'