Subject: Re: bug#24794: broken tags in coreutils.git

From: Eric Blake <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2016 13:07:06 -0500

On 10/25/2016 11:03 AM, Eric Blake wrote:
> Newer git is more picky about what constitutes a well-formed tag.

> I'm hoping Jim knows the magic for how to (temporarily) suspend the
> hooks and make the correction; in the meantime, I'm opening this bug
> report to track that we still need to do the work.
> 
> Jim, feel free to take discussion offline, since configuration to
> temporarily weaken hooks may not be the best idea to publically archive...

We've sorted out the details off-list (thanks also to Assaf), and I have
completed the conversion.  The attached file 'broken' is the list of all
the tags that I regenerated.  If you have an existing clone, git will
not replace your local broken tags by default, but you can fix your
local side by:

$ git tag -d $(cat broken)
$ git fetch origin --tags

then, optionally use git prune to remove the now-dangling broken tags.

I'll leave this bug open just a bit longer, until we have undone the
temporary changes that we had to make to bypass normal tag deletion
prevention.

-- 
Eric Blake   eblake redhat com    +1-919-301-3266
Libvirt virtualization library http://libvirt.org